Using Zoom For Remote Teaching
When instructors can’t deliver classes in person, they can use a video conferencing tool like Zoom to deliver classes. Many instructors like using Zoom for remote teaching because it’s effective and easy to use. In this article, we’ll mention the configuration steps to follow and tips to apply when teaching with Zoom.
- Install Zoom on your computer and create a Brown Zoom account.
- Open the course you want to teach in Canvas.
- Enable zoom course tool by updating the Canvas course.
- Click on Zoom from the left menu.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting.
- Click Save, and your meeting will be ready.
- Copy the Invite Attendees Join link and share it to the students.
a) Enable Join before host under the meeting options. If you don’t enable this feature, students who join the meeting before the instructor will be notified to wait.
b) Choose Mute participants upon entry. Students who want to contribute to the discussion will have to unmute their mics.
c) You can add TA(s) as Alternative Host if you want them to start meetings and manage administrative functions during classes.
Preparing to Teach
After scheduling your Zoom meeting, share some preliminary information to your students. Let them know what to prepare. Share your teaching guides and let them know how they should participate during the class.
If you want your remote class to be engaging, apply all the simple ideas that we’ve highlighted below.
Use learning goals to assess the students, and let them see the assessment when you’re done. In case some students couldn’t attend the class, tell them to watch the recording, so they enjoy a similar lesson as the students who attended.
Important Tips for Teaching with Zoom
- Always choose a quiet environment with good lighting.
- Use earbuds with headphones or microphone.
- Always notify students of zoom meetings.
- Create guidelines and share them with students.
Zoom is ideal for remote teaching, but the overall success of a virtual class depends on the instructor. Instructors should use the information in this article as a guide whenever they hold online classes.